Colette for the Tales for Tales auction on October 10th! Go check it out and join us there to get this exclusive print!
Worked on this a bit longer than I wanted too but I’m pleased with how it came out! It’s for Space Battle! That cool board game that’s coming up soon c:
Will be an available print from me, and Space Battle only.
First of all, you honour me! Second of all, take what I say with a grain of salt, because I’m not the greatest at environments either (not yet anyway~ ;0) and I also struggle big time with beating that zone of “what should I draw”.
Two things to help with that (in my experience),
- Start your canvas with a nice midtone grey. Get rid of that blank white. That hurts eyeballs.
- Block in the tones with shapes instead of with lines. Lines tend to imply detailing, and that’s what you want to avoid. :P
SO, I’m gonna share the small guidelines I have in my head when I do these paintings, and hopefully you can rock out with them :D
- When you start off with the frame of which you will be painting in, note that most environment paintings generally have the Horizon Line stuck near 1/3rd of the way. Here’s something I learned: don’t actually draw the horizon line in, otherwise you’ll be so dictated on making everything relevant to it that you’ll struggle to make everything else in the image. BUT that could just be me. Experiment! It boosts the speed of learning :)
- Generally you want 3 different tones. bright, mid and dark. I generally like to have dark as the foreground, but that’s just me. There are no real rules, you can do whatever you want. :D
Anyway, use these three tones to establish three things: the subject matter, the context (the land and sky), and the frame (usually the foreground. e.g. trees and stuff) Remember to stick most of these relatively close to the Horizon line :P
- OVERLAP. Overlapping stuff makes the illusion of depth like 5 times stronger, it’s nuts. Do it wherever you can. :D For example, that branch in front of the castle tower.
- Allow yourself some space to bleed out of the frame you initially put down. Sometimes your painting will look better slightly zoomed out. :)
- When you reach a Greyscale stage you’re happy with, follow this to get some colour in, edit it a bit for a good amount of contract and stuff, and everything will be swell :D
- Congratulate yourself for pushing your boundaries and exploring new territory!
Holy crap, THANK YOU so much! This is a really interesting and helpful process that makes a lot of sense to me which is definitely helping the lack of ideas go away. I am incredibly excited to try this out! Especially since I’ve not considered to try some of these aspects before so it’ll be a fun learning process! c:
Gosh thank you so much again for taking the time to answer this! I couldn’t be happier. :D
i just wanted to clarify some things
artists know the risk they are taking when they post their art online. people are inevitably going to take it apart, color edit it, flip it around or otherwise post it uncredited.
saying that an artist shouldn’t post their work if they don’t want it bastardized is probably the stupidest stance on this subject you could take. if all artists followed this line of reasoning, there would be no art on the internet.
when an artist posts their work, they are trusting you to enjoy it respectfully. and when you betray that trust either knowingly or unknowingly, it’s like saying the artist’s time, skills and thoughts aren’t worth anything.
you are NOT entitled to an artists work just because they decided to trust you enough to share it with you.
an artist is within their right to feel upset that someone has used their work in a way they never intended it to be used. they are within their right to ask for it to stop and not happen again.
just because it’s “bound to happen” doesn’t mean it’s any less deplorable.
Drawn for our charity livestream for First Book, called Tales for Tales that will take place on October 10th. Join us and get an exclusive print of this and many other art pieces, books, and such things that will be auctioned off! c:
Gallery quality art prints by Lilia Smith for sale.
So I am now selling art on Inprnt instead of Society6. You can still buy directly from me in my Etsy(along with other BS I do) but actually get a signature from me as well if you’re into that kind of thing. Just a heads up for those of you that are interested. c:
I was going to work out in anger because of work but now it’s EXCITEMENT AHHHHHH DRAGON AGE. I better be able to play you at PAX or I’m gonna be disappoint.
I haven’t actually been that pumped for it TILL THIS TRAILER THANK YOU FOR THINKING OF ME ANON.
ALSO, HAWKE AND YOUR WARDEN ARE IN IT. Well, who I assume is going to be your warden because he was a warden we’ve never seen and since he was with Hawke, I HOPE IT’S WHAT I THINK IT IS.
So something magical happened.
Lil - lee - uh
Thanks anon! But truly, thank you dad for having a big Ol’ man crush on Charlton Heston and pick my name out of his movies along with my brother’s middle name. You tricked our mother successfully and got us good.
So I’m now doing stickers of NGE to sell since the wonderful dragonflykida allowed me to splurge and show her the new movies! Stay tuned for more! c:
Well hey thanks! I’m extra surprised since I don’t generally say anything about it coming up, so way to be a cool detective and thanks again anon! c: